GoNatalieGo

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Working for the common good

I know, it's been a long time. Yes, the new house is great. The kids are fine. Colon still doing well (I assume - haven't seen any pictures of it since last July).

I just thought I would pass on this story, so you all could follow in my footsteps and work to fight check fraud.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to spend some time at BYU. I met Shannon Hale, and even though I was sure we'd be best friends (mostly because her dad was my obstetrician), she ended up really loving daltongirl. Who can blame her, really? That actually became a theme of the week. People were constantly telling me that they like me almost as much as they like daltongirl. I'm number 2!!! Yeah!

I got distracted - sorry. So, alisonwonderland and I were in the BYU Bookstore because I needed a pair of socks. Yeah, I packed in a hurry. So, the girl in front of us in line was writing a check. She seemed a little sketchy. I mean, who writes checks these days? Have you seen the Visa commercials? If you write a check, everyone in line is going to hate you. But, anywhoo, the cashier asked for ID, and the girl claimed she didn't have any. Really? Then the cashier said she couldn't take the check if the phone number on the check wasn't correct. And, it wasn't. The girl went on to provide a phone number. And, being the responsible citizen I am, I decided that I needed to see if this really was this girl's number. I discretely pulled out my phone, and I typed in the number as she gave it to the cashier. Originally, I had concerns. I don't know where the 303 area code is, but I've never heard of it before. Finally, as she is finishing giving the number to the cashier, her phone starts to ring. I quickly hang up, relieved that she isn't trying to pull a fast one on the Lord's bookstore. And, then I realize she is pushing the call back button. I used my lightning fast speed to silence my phone. 'Cause that would have been embarrassing. Way more embarrassing than admitting to you that I sometimes torment college freshmen for my own amusement.

So, what I learned is that either the sketchy girl did not steal her roommate's checks to buy cute shoes at the BYU Bookstore, or that she stole her roommate's checks and phone. Who knows - maybe the roommate is in a freezer somewhere? But, I did my best to prevent check fraud. And, that's all that matters.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Blogger alisonwonderland said...

i am so glad that you posted this story! i had planned on posting it, and i tried it out by telling it to a few people, who really quite liked it. but i wasn't sure i'd be able to capture the emotion of it in a blog post, without hand gestures and voice inflection. so i'm glad that you posted it! :)

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger daltongirl said...

I can't believe you posted! Yay!! I miss you!

That story is awesome! And it made me miss you even more.

I am learning what it feels like to be #2--I'm currently in second place in the fitness challenge my friend Jenny is doing. She's in 1st place--fishy, you say? We'll see how things stack up at the end of this week. If she's still coming in first, I'll have you call her cell phone.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

303 is the Denver, Colorado area. It used to be the whole state, before we all got so many phones and faxes that we needed lots more area codes.

I know, because I lived in the 303 area code when I first attended BYU. I'm not a girl, nor am I anywhere near co-ed age, so I know the story isn't about me.

A long time ago, when I worked at Vanderbilt (a rich kids' school, by and large), my wife and I were in the college bookstore and saw a co-ed purchase the following:

Vogue
Glamour
Cosmopolitan
A Cliff's Notes of Romeo and Juliet

All of this was purchased on her father's American Express card.

Who buys a Cliff's Notes of Romeo and Juliet? Kids these days. Back in my day, we either watched the movie or read "Classics Illustrated". Romeo and Juliet's plot is not all that difficult to unravel.

On that day, Mrs. Monotreme and I began a search for the most wildly inappropriate Cliff's Notes we could find. We would prowl college bookstores all over this great country of ours. Finally, in the Clemson University bookstore, in deepest darkest South Carolina, I found the Holy Grail of Inappropriate Cliff's Notes: Black Like Me.

That's never been topped.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home