GoNatalieGo

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Some Enchanted Evening

Last night at 9:30, my husband was home from his meetings, my kids were in bed and two of them were actually asleep -- Junior was having one of my favorite summer experiences, reading 'Peter and the Starcatchers' under the covers. I was on my way to our neighborhood grocery store for some ice cream. Bear Claw. Mmmmmm. I walked out of my house, which was a little too chilly with the a/c going, and was enveloped in the warm summer night. I could hear sprinklers going, and smell the slightly damp grassy scent of June. I could see bright stars shining in the sky. I turned off the a/c in the car and rolled down the window. I purposely didn't turn the radio on. The joyous smell of strawberries, $6.99 a flat, greeted me at the store, and I saw a dad and his cub-scout-shirt-wearing son picking out which bag of cherries was best. After I paid for the ice cream, I drove home slowly, taking in all the sights and sounds of summer. I was happy. Happy that my family is together, healthy, and has more good times than bad. Happy that my sweet husband has a job he loves and is good at. Happy that we have a home and can provide for our needs, and a lot of our wants. Our lawn is mostly green, our flowers are blooming, and our vegetables are growing. Joy. I felt loved and embraced by a loving Heavenly Father who knows who I am and wants me to be happy. Life is good. Not always, but a lot of the time. My challenge is to celebrate the times when it is. Not always easy, but when I do, I am even more abundantly blessed.

3 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger daltongirl said...

I love this post!! One of the other things that makes your life so great is that you are beautiful. You are also very smart and talented. I keep thinking of seeing you up at that microphone, talking in front of all those people, and remembering how impressed every person in that room was with your extreme beauty (1st) and your eloquence (close 2nd).

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger alisonwonderland said...

I just read this and thought of your post: "Peace is joy at rest, and joy is peace on its feet." --Anne Lamott in Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Natalie Gordon said...

I love that! That is going to be my new goal - peace and joy. Oh, how I adore you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home